Monday 21 March 2022

Oban Star-Racers WIP

 My current personal project is to recreate a scene from Oban Star-Racers in Unity, pretending its a level for a racing game. I'll be posting pictures of my progress in this post as I move forward.


The first few key assets I made for this project, rendered with Maya's built in ramp shaders:


I spent a whole week learning shader graph through a tutorial to get toon shading! Very important to get right near the beginning so I know things are looking right.


More Assets: Different variations of trees, as well as rock and moss which can combine to become different variations. Not sure I'm happy with the rock and moss textures yet but they'll do for now.



Started working with Unity Terrains for the first time. Blocking out where things will go. A lot of work still ahead with this part.


Started assembling the main area of the scene in Maya as I create more assets, to make everything fit together properly.


Built the first tiling segment of track. Next I'll be trying to find a way to spline it around the very large bend in the racetrack. I'll also have to watch the start of the races in the show to get a good shot of what the track looks like at the very start of the race. You can see in the last picture that the track is very deep relative to most of the rest of the track.

Further blocked out more of the ruins.

Created the wheel on which is displayed the racers placement in the race. This was a lot of work but I don't think I'll have to come back and fix anything later.


The gong, a main prop used to signal the start of the race. The show features a close up around this scale almost every race so I knew it should get extra focus to get it right. 

Hut 01, in the show there's about 1000 variants of these huts strewn about the landscape. about a year ago I tried to start this project and got caught up in making a modular system for these huts and it got out of hand. Revisiting now I decided to make a few different variants first, then export the parts that make them separately to combine and make a lot more. I'll post updates on how that goes too.

...I may have to revisit the legs at some point, they are slowly starting to bother me.


More on the way..!


No comments:

Post a Comment